November 15, 2007
Contact: Joyce Smart, Bi-lo Charities, 864-286-2867, Rebecca Sylvester, University Health Care System, 706-828-2394
BI-LO CHARITY CLASSIC AWARDS MORE THAN
$102,000 IN AUGUSTA AREA
1 Year of Fundraising. 10 Days of Giving To Local Charities
AUGUSTA, GA -- BI-LO Charities continues its 2007 10 Days of Giving campaign today as charities in the Augusta area will be the recipients of more than $102,000 in grants. The funds, part of $5.6 million raised in this year’s BI-LO Charity Classic golf tournament, were awarded to 9 organizations during a presentation at University Hospital. The 10 Days of Giving was kicked off on Monday, Nov. 5, in Greenville, S.C.
The Augusta-area recipients are:
- Boys and Girls Club of Augusta, $29,034
- Christian Ministry Center, $2,278
- Denmark-Olar (S.C.) School District 2, $1,355
- Edgefield County Schools, $8,693
- Golden Harvest Food Bank, $5,000
- MCG Children's Medical Center, $30,000
- Salvation Army Nancy Moore Thurmond Boys and Girls Club, $12,733
- University Hospital Camp Whispering Wind for children with asthma, $6,020
- University Hospital Speech and Hearing Center, $6,020
- Washington Wilkes Primary School, $1,444
The BI-LO Charity Classic, now in its 24th year, has become the largest single-day charity tournament in the country, and has continued to grow each year. BI-LO distributes the funds raised in the tournament to non-profit organizations throughout the Southeast in communities where they operate supermarkets.
“A passionate commitment to our community is one of our core values at BI-LO,” said BI-LO President and CEO Brian Hotarek. “We give because it truly makes a difference in all of our communities. Our customers and teammates who live in the Augusta community also rely on many of the human services organizations for their families and we want to do our part to offer help where it is needed.”
Rusty Streetman, Regional Vice President for BI-LO, and BI-LO Charities board members was on hand to present checks to the charities.
BI-LO, headquartered in Mauldin, SC, operates 222 supermarkets in the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee and employs approximately 17,000 people. The company has a strong commitment to community involvement through philanthropy, supporting charitable organizations assisting children, hunger relief and education.