FOR MORE INFORMATION, contact Erica Cline at 706/828-2225.
Free University Screenings Help Find Skin Cancers
(June 12, 2008) – In the heat of the summer sun, it’s often easy to forget about the dangers associated with the sun’s rays.
That’s why University Hospital holds annual free Skin Cancer/Melanoma Screenings.
On May 15, dermatologists who practice at University Hospital screened 79 people who attended the free cancer screenings, which were held by appointment at University’s Breast Health Center.
Of the 79 people screened, physicians found the following:
- Melanoma: 1 case
- Dysplastic Nevus: 4 cases
- Basal Cell Carcinoma: 7 cases
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: 2 cases
- Seborrheic Keratosis: 23 cases
- Actinic Keratosis: 18 cases
- Probable Dermatofibroma: 1 case
- Hemagioma vs Basal Cell Carcinoma: 1 case
- Lentigo: 3 cases
- Probable Lentigo: 1 case
- Cyst: 1 case
- IDN: 1 case
- Mole/Nevus: 4 cases
Physicians recommended biopsies for 23 participants and referred 31 participants for a more thorough examination.