What Does University's Heart Program Offer You and Your Family?
- a medical staff of nearly 600 physicians, including the area's most skilled and experienced team of cardiologists and cardiac surgeons six cardiac catheterization labs equipped with the area's most advanced technology
- an open heart surgery service with a surgical suite designed specifically for open-heart procedures
- a vascular testing lab that's among the most highly accredited in the nation
- a comprehensive coronary care unit staffed by trained cardiac clinicians who carefully monitor heart patients using state-of-the-art equipment
- a dedicated Stroke Unit that offers a multidisciplinary approach to care
- hospital-wide wireless telemetry monitoring, which allows patients who need heart monitoring to be placed in the hospital based on their primary diagnosis, yet have the security of heart monitoring
- a dedicated Chest Pain ER within the main Emergency Department
- a Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Center with an indoor track as well as aerobic and strength training equipment
- Home Health Services, educational outreach and emotional support
Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care
University is a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, a nationwide program developed by physicians and hospitals to improve the quality and affordability of specialty care. There is great variation among providers in terms of how specialty cardiac patients are evaluated and treated. The Blue Centers for Cardiac Care have identified institutions that meet stringent quality criteria - as established by expert physician panels and national organizations - that demonstrate better outcomes, consistent care and provide greater value for Blue members.
Institutions that are part of the program are subject to periodic reevaluation as criteria continue to evolve. This program is intended to bring greater transparency to health care practices in hopes of helping consumers make more informed health care decisions.
Chest Pain Accreditation from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
University Hospital has received full Cycle IV Accreditation with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) from the Accreditation Review Committee of the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. Formerly known as angioplasty, PCI encompasses procedures performed in the cardiac catheterization lab to unblock a clogged artery leading to the heart. University is the only hospital in the region to have the special PCI designation.
The Chest Pain Center at University Hospital has demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and completing on-site evaluations by a review team from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
Heart & Vascular Institute CV PACU virtual tour