You will be asked to pay deductibles, co-insurance, private room differences and non-covered amounts prior to service. University Hospital is considered a preferred provider for many insurance plans. If University Hospital is not your plan's preferred provider, you will be responsible for a higher co-payment or percentage of your hospital charges for choosing a "non-network" hospital, which could be significant. It is your responsibility to confirm the preferred provider status of University Hospital with your insurance carrier. Your plan's Customer Service staff will be able to verify if University is or is not a Participating Provider at the time of service, and they can be reached at the phone number quoted on your card.
Most insurance companies do require pre-certification and/or referral from your primary physician in advance of service. University Hospital recommends that you call the insurance company to verify that the pre-certifications and referrals have been completed. It is the responsibility of the patient, guarantor or patient's physician to notify or call the insurance company. Failure to gather pre-certification, physician referral or pre-authorization may result in reduced payment or denial of benefits by insurance company.
For more information, please call 706/774-2125 or click here to send an e-mail.
University Health Care System accepts the following health plans:
Insurance Carrier Contracts
- Aetna PPO
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia HMO
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia PPO
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of South Carolina PPC
- Georgia Board of Regents State Benefit Health Plan PPO
- United Health Care HMO, POS and PPO
- BlueChoice HMO SC
- Instil-Medicare Advantage
- Humana Gold-Medicare Advantage
- United Complete-Medicare Advantage
Lease Network Contracts
- First Health
- First Medical Network
- Fortified Provider Network
- Great West Healthcare PPO and POS (formerly One Health Plan)
- Healthcare Savings (formerly Physicians Care Network)
- Humana Choicecare Network
- Industry Buying Group (IBG)
- Kanawha Healthcare Solutions
- Multiplan (with BCE Emergis and Preferred Plan of Georgia (PPOG))
- Premier Health Systems
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- Three Rivers Network
- Universal Health Network
- USA Managed Care
- Pro Net
This list is subject to change. University Hospital does not participate with discount programs such as Care Entrée, Physician Visit and Hospital Program, and Prudent Choice. We currently participate with most Medicare Advantage Private Fee for Service plans. If you have any questions regarding your plan's participation with University Hospital, please call Scheduling and Benefits at 706/774-5777.