Helping ensure our patients receive the highest level of care, delivered with dignity and compassion, is our goal with every patient and family member, every time. Our Board challenges us to remain in the top 10 percent of hospitals in the country in quality scores, and they meet monthly with physicians and clinical staff to analyze the data and develop a plan to better serve our patients. It is this goal-driven mindset that has earned us recognition in key areas for our quality strides.
- University received 15 five-star ratings in 2014 from Healthgrades, the nation’s leading online resource for those looking for a physician or hospital, for the following services:
- Coronary Interventional Procedures (inpatient)
- Defibrillator Procedures
- Pulmonary Embolism (within 30 days)
- Sepsis (within 30 days)
- Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries
- Gastrointestinal Bleed (in-hospital)
- Gastrointestinal Bleed (within 30 days)
- Stroke (within 30 days)
- Total Hip Replacement
- Spinal Fusion
- Total Knee Replacement
- Pneumonia (in-hospital)
- Pneumonia (within 30 days)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Carotid Surgery
- University was named one of America's Top 100 Hospitals for Orthopaedic Surgery, Joint Replacement or Spine Surgery by Healthgrades, the nation's leading online resource for those looking for a physician or hospital.
- Society for Critical Care Award for Leadership in Eliminating Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
- American Cancer Society College of Surgeons Cancer Certification with Commendation
- Vascular Lab Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories Accreditation
- Cardiac Rehab Certification
- Joint Commission Accreditation Joint Commission Certified Stroke Center
- Ranked No. 1 in Augusta in ENT, GI, Nephrology and Orthopedics by US News & World Report
- Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care
- Laboratory Services accreditation by the College of American Pathologists
In addition, the following initiatives were launched, moving health care at University to new levels of quality:
- Implemented nursing bedside reporting to ensure patients and family members stay informed during all shifts of their care and progress toward the desired outcome and discharge
- Kicked off Project RED with intense education and follow-up care to help reduce readmission rates for congestive heart failure patients
- Renovated 5 North/South inpatient rooms with updated nurse call systems, new flooring, furnishings and restrooms and state-of-the-art beds
- Launched Greater Augusta Healthcare Network (GAHN) community needs assessment in cooperation with Georgia Health Sciences University to identify the major health needs in our community and develop a trackable, working plan to address those needs
At University we closely monitor our patients' satisfaction through a survey process administered by an outside vendor. We ask patients to rate us in a number of areas, including their overall rating of care and would they recommend us to others. Our goal is to be in the top 10 percent of hospitals across the country and we work every day to improve the experience for our patients and visitors.
* Note: See How We Compare to view University Hospital's quality and patient satisfaction scores in comparison to other local hospitals.