Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Pasta with Parmesan Cheese
Recipe slightly modified and re-printed courtesy of Chef Charleen (www.chefcharleen.com)
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 medium cloves garlic, sliced (sliced garlic is much milder than chopped or minced)
- 4 medium-large ripe tomatoes (about 1½ pounds), can also use cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground white or black pepper (white pepper has a wonderful taste, different from black)
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs, (lots of basil), or 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- 1 pound pasta, preferably thin whole grain spaghetti
- 1 bunch of assorted lettuce, washed and dried
- Freshly grated Parmigianino Reggiano
Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the pasta.
Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels. When cool, break into pieces.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoons bacon fat. Add garlic and olive oil to the pan and sauté over low heat until soft.
Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Shake over a colander to remove seeds and some of the juice. Add to the hot pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until just warmed. Add salt and pepper; remove from heat.
Wash and dry the herbs. Tear the leaves into pieces. Stir the herbs into the tomato mixture. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasonings if necessary.
While preparing the sauce, cook and drain the pasta. Toss the hot pasta with the tomato sauce, bacon and lettuce. Mix well. Transfer portions to pasta bowls and serve immediately with the Parmesan.
Yield: 8 Servings
Nutrition Breakdown: Calories 300, Fat 10g (3.5g saturated, 2g monounsaturated), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 420mg, Carbohydrate 40g, Fiber 9g, Protein 14g, 182mg Potassium.
Percent Daily Value: 35% Vitamin A, 35% Vitamin C, 20% Iron, 10% Calcium
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 ½ Carbohydrates
Diabetes Exchange Values: 1 Vegetable, 2 Starches, 1 Medium Fat Protein, 1 Fat