Outpatient Nutrition Services
1350 Walton Way
Augusta, GA 30901
706-288-3079, Fax: 706-774-2152
Outpatient Dietitians at University Hospital can:
- Determine your specific nutritional needs such as
- How many calories you need each day to either maintain, lose or gain weight.
- How much protein you need each day to maintain or improve lean muscle mass and/or promote wound healing after an injury or surgery.
- How many carbohydrates you need each day to prevent diabetes or improve blood sugar control.
- Identify specific changes that can be made to improve your dietary intake.
- Make the most up-to-date, scientifically based nutrition recommendations in a way that is easy to understand to help you make well-informed decisions related to your diet.
- Help you obtain adequate fiber from whole grains and vitamins and minerals from foods, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Help you manage your sodium; saturated fat or trans fat; and refined sugar levels.
- Help you overcome barriers that may be preventing you from making positive changes to your diet.
- Provide the support and accountability you need to continue with the positive changes you've made to improve your nutrition and overall health.
Services offered include:
- Individual nutrition counseling
- Small group nutrition counseling
- Nutrition classes
The Outpatient Nutrition Services Registered Dietitian provides services for patients with conditions, including heart and lung diseases; cancer; gastrointestinal disorders/diseases; and obesity who have been referred by their physician.
What to expect during your appointment
The dietitian will review your past medical history, weight, BMI (body mass index), pertinent labs and medications as well as vitamin and mineral and herbal supplements you might take. She will also review your eating habits and your physical activity. After that, she will help you to establish a plan by setting nutrition-related goals to help make positive changes in your eating behaviors.
To set up an appointment
- Talk to your doctor about obtaining a referral. Referrals can be sent to Fax: 706-774-2152.
- Check with your insurance company to find out if Medical Nutrition Therapy or nutrition counseling is covered under your plan. If it is not, you will be expected to pay upon check-in prior to your appointment. The cost is $92 for your first one-hour visit and $46 for every 30-minute visit thereafter.
- Schedule your appointment: Call Outpatient Nutrition Services at 706-288-3079 Appointment times are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. through 4 p.m.
- Prior to your appointment: Brainstorm or write down any questions or concerns you have related to nutrition to make the most of your session with the dietitian.
Outpatient Nutrition Services is located on the first floor of the Heart & Vascular Institute, which is directly behind University Hospital. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time and check in with the Registration Desk in the HVI lobby. You will be directed from there.
Parking is available in the Heart & Vascular Institute parking lot.