Campfire Greek Chicken
These are great to make and take. Make the packets, pack in a cooler and cook over a grill or in a campfire.
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces chicken chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning; divided use
- 1 cup cooked rice, bulgur or quinoa
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (chop small to facilitate cooking)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 (6 ounce) jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 tomato sliced (more for serving if desired)
- Lemon wedges or Feta Cheese (optional)
Cut off four pieces of aluminum foil approximately 15-inches long. Place 1 teaspoon of olive oil on each sheet of aluminum foil, and top with 4 ounces of chicken. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with ¼ teaspoon Greek seasoning. Evenly divide the rice, zucchini, onion, beans, artichokes and tomato slices between packets and layer on top of chicken. Drizzle about 2-4 teaspoons reserved artichoke heart “juice”.
To make packets: cut 4 additional pieces of aluminum foil and place on top of food, crimp the edges together tightly to seal. Lastly wrap each packet with one additional piece of aluminum foil to double wrap. Now pack packets in the cooler and you have a great meal to grill once you reach your destination.
Cook packets over ash colored coals or on a grill for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and zucchini is tender. Be careful opening the packets as the steam is hot. Once opened add a little feta cheese or a squeeze of lemon.
Yield: 4 Servings
Nutrition Breakdown: Calories 340, Fat 12g (1.5g saturated, 3g monounsaturated), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 570mg, Carbohydrate 28g, Fiber 7g, Protein 27g.
Percent Daily Value: 10% Vitamin A, 6% Calcium, 60% Vitamin C, 15% Iron
Carbohydrate Choices: 1 ½ Carbohydrate
Diabetes Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 3 Lean Meats, ½ Fat