The Cancer Care leader in the CSRA
For nearly 70 years, our staff of more than 600 independent physicians is on the front lines of this battle. We operate the area's first stationary Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scanner, which can detect cancer earlier than other diagnostic equipment and helps define the most effective treatment. And our Breast Health Center offers a one-of-a-kind approach to detecting, treating and recovering from breast cancer. Our inpatient cancer unit offers a multidisciplinary patient- and family-focused approach to cancer care.
Cancer program receives elite honor
University's Cancer Program is accredited by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons. University is the only hospital in Georgia and one of only 95 in the country to receive this honor, which recognizes excellence in patient cancer care and treatment.
University Hospital's Cancer Services has also been recognized by CareChex®, a division of Comparion® Medical Analytics, one of the nation's largest privately held healthcare information services companies, as being No. 1 in Georgia in cancer care.
What University's Cancer Care Services offer you
- The CSRA's most experienced cancer care team of oncologists, radiologists, surgeons, pathologists, interventional radiologists and radiation oncologists, and the expertise of more than 500 additional specialists and primary care physicians
- State-of-the-art diagnostics and equipment, including Augusta’s first stationary PET scanner, Mobile Mammography Unit and other advanced digital technology
- Multi-specialty team approach to coordinate the best cancer care and treatment options
- Access to clinical trials and cancer-related information, education and support
- Comprehensive cancer registry that collects vital data and offers lifelong patient follow-up
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of cancer care
- Clinical laboratory/pathology services
- Case management services
- Lymphedema program
- Inpatient oncology unit staffed with certified oncology and chemotherapy nurses
- Medical nutrition and rehabilitative therapy services
- Wound, ostomy and continence nursing services
- Quality cancer care close to home
- Educational outreach, support groups and pastoral services