Crustless Spinach Quiche
This is a great easy and quick meal to rotate into the weekly menu.
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces light cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 ½ cup)
- 5 large local farm fresh eggs (I changed)
- ½ cup light cottage cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Coat a 9-inch pie plate, preferably nonstick with cooking spray; set aside. Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Next add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add spinach and stir until moisture has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly in prepared pie plate. Top with spinach mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and red pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over spinach. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until set. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cute into wedges and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Breakdown: Calories: 230, Fat 15g (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 300mg, Sodium 700mg, Carbohydrate 8g, Fiber 1g, Protein 23g
Carbohydrate Choice: ½ Carbohydrates
Diabetes Exchanges: 3 Medium Fat Meats, 2 Vegetables