Heart Failure: Stage D
Piemont Augusta's Advanced Heart Failure Center
1350 Walton Way
Augusta, GA 30901-2629
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Patients have end-stage symptoms that do not respond to standard treatments. Treatment focuses not only on survival, but on symptom relief and quality of life issues. Treatment includes appropriate measures used for Stages A, B, and C plus:
- Strict control of fluid retention.
- Heart transplantation referral for appropriate patients.
- Left-ventricular assist devices as permanent therapy for patients who are not candidates for heart transplants. LVADs are surgically implanted to help pump blood through the body.
- Hospice and end-of-life care information for patients and families.
- Patients have the right to choose or decline treatments based on their personal preferences, values, and goals. Quality of life is as important a consideration as survival.