This recipe is delicious and beautiful. It will be a hit when you take it to a tailgating party OR when you make it and snack on it all week long.
- 1 (15-ounce can) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15-ounce can) corn, drained
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper (green, red, orange, or yellow), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Mix together peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, and onion in a medium bowl. Whisk together lemon juice and zest, vinegar, olive oil, paprika, oregano, cumin and salt. Toss into vegetable mixture.
Chill until serving time.
Yield: 12 (1/2cup servings)
Nutrient Breakdown: Calories 80, Fat 2g (0g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 280mg, Carbohydrate 15g, Fiber 4g, Protein 4g.
Carbohydrate Choice: 1 Carbohydrate
Percent Daily Value: 8% Vitamin A, 4% Calcium, 6% Iron, 35% Vitamin C
Diabetes Exchanges: 1 Starchy Vegetable, ½ Vegetables
Note: Excellent served with chips or as an accompaniment with veggie sausage, home-fried potatoes, baked potatoes, Latin dishes, or whole grain chips and crackers.
Recipe provided courtesy of Sharon Palmer, RDN.