Indigent and Charity Care
University Hospital McDuffie (UHM)
Indigent and Charity Care (ICCP) Summary
- No individual shall be denied medically necessary services (those services Georgia Medicaid would pay) based solely upon lack of ability to pay for services. All policies shall be implemented in accordance with State and Federal rules and regulations. Individuals shall be granted impartial consideration regardless of race, creed, sex, national origin, handicap, or age.
- University Hospital McDuffie offers hospital services free of charge to patients who are
- US citizens and
- Georgia residents with income levels of 0 percent up to 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines with no other payor source. (Poverty Guidelines will be updated on April 1 every year.)
- Free Care will be determined using an electronic financial eligibility/predictability (EES) system after patient has received services and patient has been sent at least one statement and one bill.
- The EES uses the patient’s data from tax returns, Credit Bureau, property values, mortgage loans, credit card usage, etc. to predict the ability to pay for the needed hospital services.
- The Free Care will be effective for one (1) year.
- If approved for Free Care only hospital facility charges will be covered as indigent with no expected patient payment. Note: If patient chooses to assist with his/her bill by paying the copayments then the patient payment will reduce the amount the hospital recognizes as indigent care (no refund of copay will be given). In order for a patient to be considered for the Free Care program, the patient must have first applied for all other appropriate State or Federal programs.
- Non-insured (Self-pay) patients, regardless of their State of residence, will be eligible for the Hospital’s Charity Care Discount labeled “Self-pay Discount”.
- The “Self-pay/Charity Care Discount” will be determined and updated on April 1 of each year and applies to Hospital facility charges only.
- The Self-pay/Charity Care Discount is calculated using the percentages that the hospital expects to get paid from Contracted insurers and traditional Medicare for inpatient and outpatient hospital facility services.
- Note: University Hospital McDuffie also offers a “Cash Payment Discount” whereby UHM discounts certain procedures if patient pays cash up front for procedure. If patient elects the Cash Payment discount then the Self-pay Discount will not apply to these procedures nor will the Self Pay Discount apply to specific procedures which UHM states the gross charges at a discounted rate due to the combination with another procedure.
- Patients may only receive one discount per service visit.
- Other Discounts include catastrophic liabilities as out lined in the Catastrophic Indigent and Charity Care Policy
- All patients who seek reduced cost of care give consent for the Hospital to use Personal Health Information data as well as financial data
- For a copy of the full Indigent Care Policy go to the University website at www.universityhealth.org/UHM-indigentcare or for the calculation for the Charity Care Discount go to the website at www.universityhealth.org/McDuffie/charitycare or call Patient Accounting Service Center at 706-828-2333. You may also choose to have a copy emailed by requesting a copy by email or you can request a copy through the US Postal service by mailing a request to the at University Hospital Care Line, 1350 Walton Way, Augusta, GA 30901. Please note in your request if you need the policy in Spanish otherwise the Policy will be provided in English.
- From here, you can print a copy of the full UHM Indigent Care Policy or UHM Catastrophic Policy. You also can go to the University website at www.universityhealth.org/uhm-indigent-care-policy. Click here for the calculation for the Charity Care Discount or call Patient Accounting Service Center at 706-828-2333. You may also choose to have a copy emailed by requesting a copy by email or you can request a copy through the US Postal service by mailing a request to the University Hospital Care Line, 1350 Walton Way, Augusta, GA 30901. Please note in your request if you need the policy in Spanish otherwise the Policy will be provided in English.