We believe that the patient’s ability to interact with family members, of all ages, positively affects their recovery during hospitalization. Also, we understand the healthcare continuum is a process that involves the entire family.
- All visitors must be appropriately attired - including shoes.
- Noise should be at a minimum during visitation.
- There is no smoking allowed within the hospital.
- Patients should not have any smoking materials or outside medications.
- Patients may not receive outside food without nurse approval to ensure the food is made according to prescribed diet orders.
- Infants are susceptible to infections and should be protected. If the patient wants to see an infant under special circumstances, arrangements should be made with your nurse.
- Children must ALWAYS be accompanied by an adult and should be taken out of the patient care area if they become a distraction. Children are to remain in the room of the patient they are visiting and are not be allowed in the hallways or waiting areas unless accompanied by an adult. Sick children should not be brought to visit.
- Patient care staff may, on occasion, request that visitors step out of a room so personal care can be provided. We ask you to cooperate with staff and follow their directions.
In order to provide a healthy environment for our patients, visitors and employees, University Hospital Summerville restricts the use of tobacco products. Learn more at www.universityhealth.org/tobacco-free.
A full-service cafeteria serving breakfast and lunch is available to visitors
Monday - Friday:
Breakfast: 8-9 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
For your convenience, vending machines are outside the entrance to the dining room.
The nurse will make every effort to accommodate an overnight guest should the patient ask. Check with the nurse for more information.
The Volunteer Auxiliary of University Hospital McDuffie operates a fully stocked gift shop on the first floor for your convenience. The gift shop offers greeting cards, candy and gifts.
All gift shop proceeds go to the Hospital Auxiliary to purchase needed equipment and supplies for various areas of the hospital.
Spiritual support from a hospital chaplain is available during a patient’s stay. The chapel is located next to the first-floor waiting area and is open at all times for meditation. For more information about this service, please ask the nurse or patient care representative.