University Extended Care Kentwood
Off Wheeler Road
1227 West Wheeler Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909
Welcome to University Extended Care - Kentwood.
With fewer rooms than most facilities, Kentwood is able to provide a more homelike environment for both short and long-term residents. Regardless of the length of stay, we strive to make all residents feel like part of an extended family.
Kentwood’s four skilled units include a total of 100 Medicare/Medicaid-certified beds, including:
- A 15-bed increased care unit with three private and six semi-private rooms
- A 45-bed skilled care unit with five private and
- 20 semi-private rooms
- A 20-bed skilled care unit, all with large private
- rooms and private baths
- Three dining rooms
- Planned activities
- Beauty shop services
Kentwood has in-house physical, occupational and speech therapists who are experienced in geriatric rehabilitation. They provide treatment for swallowing difficulties, participate in wound care and complete adaptive equipment assessments. The therapy department strives to maintain each resident’s optimal physical level.
Kentwood’s nursing staff focuses on the well-being of each resident. Care is individualized to match each resident’s needs. Skilled nursing services include IV therapy, wound care, feeding tube management, pain management, complex medical conditions and end-of-life care.
Kentwood’s staff of registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants provides 24-hour care seven days a week.
Rehabilitation services include physical, occupational and speech therapy. Physical therapy focuses on improving strength, flexibility, balance and mobility. Occupational therapy teaches hand and upper extremity skills. Speech therapy emphasizes verbal and communication skills and
therapy to help residents eat safely and efficiently.
Social Services are provided to assist both residents and family in the transition of care in addition to providing information regarding social security, Medicare, Medicaid and other resident concerns.
Kentwood’s registered dietitians provide a nutritional assessment for residents upon admission, and the dietary staff prepares therapeutic diets as ordered by the physician. Meals are served three times a day.
ACTIVITIES & RECREATION
A variety of group and individual recreation activities promotes social interaction and family involvement. Visits by outside friends are encouraged.
EFFECTIVE March 29, 2021
Kentwood is excited to begin offering indoor visitation for our residents and their loved ones. In order for us to provide this opportunity, there are guidelines to which we must adhere. Listed below are the guidelines, as well as information on scheduling appointments.
VISITORS AND VISITATION HOURS
- At this time, at least one visit per resident per week will be offered. Additional opportunities may be offered based on availability. Kentwood staff will call family members to schedule an appointment, but family members may also call Kentwood directly to schedule an appointment. Please call 706-863-1188 or 706-854-4545 and state that you are requesting a visitation appointment.
- Appointments may be scheduled Monday – Friday between 10 AM and 4 PM. Your appointment time is based on time slot availability at the time of scheduling.
- Only two visitors are allowed per resident for a period of 30 minutes.
- Visitation will take place in a designated visitation area at Kentwood. You will enter the Rehab Entrance which will be clearly marked. There are also Visitor Parking slots designated for your convenience.
INFECTION PREVENTION GUIDELINES
- ALL visitors MUST wear a mask over their mouth and nose at all times. There are no exceptions.
- All visitors will be screened upon entry into the building and a visitor log will be filled out.
- All visitors must perform hand hygiene as instructed by staff. At minimum, this will include upon entering the building, prior to interaction with the resident and upon leaving the facility.
- Social distancing of 6 feet must be maintained at all times. RESIDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN FULLY VACCINATED MAY HAVE CLOSE CONTACT WITH FAMILY. THE RESIDENT MUST WEAR A SURGICAL MASK OR WELL-FITTED MASK. THE RESIDENT AND FAMILY MEMBERS MUST PERFORM HAND HYGIENE BEFORE AND AFTER PHYSICAL CONTACT.
- Visitors will only be allowed in the designated visitation area and may not leave this area.
- If a resident is unable to leave his or her room, accommodations will be made to facilitate the visit.
- All visits will be monitored by Kentwood staff. ALL INFECTION PREVENTION PRINCIPLES MUST BE FOLLOWED. VISITORS WHO ARE UNABLE TO FOLLOW THESE PRINCIPLES WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE FACILITY.
These guidelines will be reviewed and revised based on State of Georgia guidelines and facility operations.