Facts & Risk Factors
Facts about Heart Disease
- Heart disease, also known as coronary artery disease, is the leading cause of death in the United States.
- One life is lost to heart disease every 30 seconds.
- 300,000 people suffer heart attacks every year without warning or symptoms.
- 45 percent of all heart attacks -- one third of which are fatal -- occur to people between the ages of 45 and 65.
- 44 percent of women who have heart attacks die within a year.
- 30 percent of heart disease patients have no obvious risk factors like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or a family history of heart attacks.
Risk Factors for Heart Attacks