W.G. Watson, M.D., Women's Center
1350 Walton Way
Augusta, GA 30901
Expect a Special Delivery
A confident childbirth experience begins with information. Our comprehensive education program is designed to help you make informed decisions. Programs are tailored to first-time mothers and fathers and returning parents wanting to brush up on their skills. Classes are held onsite throughout the year so you can become better acquainted with our staff and facilities. Call 706/774-2825 to register.
After you deliver here, we offer other patient-focused services that guide your family through the first days of bonding and prepare you for your new lives together. It's a decidedly personal approach that puts your concerns at center stage … an approach that addresses having a baby as anything but ordinary. We understand that questions will arise even after you've gone home.
Our support services include:
- Breastfeeding support
- Extensive childbirth education classes
- Individual mother, baby and family education during your stay
- Born to Read Program
University Hospital is dedicated to the promotion of breastfeeding for our new moms, which is why every year, we celebrate World Breastfeeding Week. Now, University Hospital is expanding its lactation services throughout the region to promote the many benefits of breastfeeding and to help new mothers become more comfortable with breastfeeding to improve the health of the next generation in the CSRA.
The Affordable Care Act allows for up to four visits from a lactation consultant within the first year of delivery. Because of this, the W.G. Watson, M.D., Women’s Center launched its Outpatient Lactation Services on July 16 with our board-certified Lactation Consultants. Patients can call 706-774-2328 for an appointment.
BENEFITS FOR BABY
- Stronger immune systems
- Less diarrhea, constipation, gastroenteritis, gastroesophageal reflux and preterm necrotizing enterocolitis
- Increased IQ
- Fewer colds and respiratory illnesses like pneumonia, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and whooping cough
- Fewer ear infections, especially those that damage hearing
- Fewer case of bacterial meningitis
- Better vision and less retinopathy of prematurity
- Lower rates of infant mortality
- Lower rates of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
BENEFITS FOR MOM
- Reduced risk of Breast Cancer
- Reduced risk of Ovarian Cancer
- Reduced risk of Diabetes